From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 49 - take 2
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:05:04
1 On Monday 22 May 2006 10:47, Thomas Cort wrote:
2 > I definitely agree that Gentoo needs a team of people to deal with the
3 > primary package manager, it is one of the most important tools in a
4 > Linux system. It is especially important in Gentoo where the package
5 > manager is, at this point in time, required to install a standard
6 > desktop system. I disagree that the package manager needs to be
7 > directly maintained by Gentoo. Since Gentoo will never depend upon a
8 > piece of non-Free software[1], it is safe to assume that the package
9 > manager is Free software (aka open source). Because of this, we will
10 > never be locked-in, helpless, or under the control of an external
11 > project. If we dislike the direction in which it is going or want to
12 > add our own features, then we are free to do so either by submitting
13 > patches upstream, adding our own custom gentoo patches to the stock
14 > sources, or by forking the project entirely.
15 >
16 > So what I suggest is the following:
17 >
18 > "While it is desirable that the primary package manager be maintained
19 > on official gentoo infrastructure, under the control of gentoo
20 > developers, it is not required. During the path to becoming the primary
21 > package manager, the package manager maintainers must be asked if they
22 > would like their project to be an official Gentoo project. All rules
23 > about projects apply. The package manager maintainers have the right to
24 > refuse such an offer if there is a team of at least 3 Gentoo developers
25 > that understand the package manager source code and are willing to deal
26 > with bugs, testing, feature enhancements, modifications, and
27 > integration."
28
29 First of all, I'm in limbo on this. Certainly not dead set against it. If
30 this were to be used, I'd like to add the following line: "At least 1 of
31 these three must be actively involved in the development of the package
32 manager".
33
34 Could others please provide input on this question.
35
36 Regardless on the decision on this item there is no restriction of
37 non-gentoo developers participating in the developement of the package
38 manager.
39
40 Paul
43 Paul de Vrieze