From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] per-package USE defaults
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 00:05:57
1 On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 05:49:40PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 08 August 2006 15:18, Zac Medico wrote:
3 > > Stuart Herbert wrote:
4 > > > Any chance of per-package USE defaults support? That's much more useful
5 > > > to me.
6 > >
7 > > Attached to bug 61732 there's a patch that implements this via a new
8 > > IUSE_DEFAULTS ebuild variable. If people like that particular
9 > > implementation, then I'll update the patch so that it applies to
10 > > portage-2.1.1_pre. Some might suggest that an EAPI bump is proper for the
11 > > addition of this type of functionality, but perhaps we can slide it in
12 > > without that extra annoyance.
13 >
14 > i'm really really partial to overloading IUSE here rather than introducing a
15 > new variable ...
16
17 Same here.
18
19 Upshot of reuse, it's cheaper from a char standpoint for the cache.
20
21 Plus, it saves us having to write an extra check to repoman to verify
22 that IUSE_DEFAULTS stated flags are all in IUSE ;)
23
24 Does require an EAPI bump for it, but there is enough stuff sitting
25 around that requires an EAPI bump, probably worthwhile to roll a glep
26 for it and do it in one shot.
27 ~harring