From: "Remco Rijnders" <remco@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: */* More Py2 only items
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 13:37:22
1 On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 08:35:02PM -0400, Aaron wrote in
2 <20200629003502.GD17128@bubba>:
3 ># Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> (2020-06-28)
4 ># More Py2 only stuff. Plz see -dev ML for discussions
5 ># Remove bindings, port to Py3, etc
6 ># Removal in 30 days
7 >net-mail/getmai
8
9 I know this is at the 11th hour, but having been a long time user of
10 getmail, I would be sad to see this package removed from
11 gentoo. Reading and enquiring on the getmail user support list, I
12 learn that the author of getmail is reluctant to make Python 3 support
13 for this package a priority and won't commit to any immediate efforts
14 on his part to make this happen.
15
16 An effort has been made to port this program to Python 3 by some of
17 its users, see https://github.com/getmail6/getmail6 . The name
18 getmail6 has been chosen over the existing name of getmail as to not
19 hijack the project from its current primary developer and also to
20 avoid conflicts.
21
22 I'd like to volunteer myself as proxy maintainer for this package. As
23 this would be the first package in gentoo I'd be working on, I ask for
24 advice on the following two points:
25
26 - Can the removal of this package from gentoo be pushed backwards with
27 a month or so to allow me to work on packaging this new version as
28 well as do some rudimentary testing to ensure it works properly with
29 Gentoo? (some success has been reported:
30 https://github.com/getmail6/getmail6/issues/7#issuecomment-661127141 )
31
32 - As upstream for this program would be changed, should the name
33 getmail in gentoo be kept or would it better to use getmail6, and if
34 so, what would be the best way to go about this?
35
36 Thank you kindly in advance!
37
38 Kind regards,