From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:47:39
1 On 2013-01-25, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
4 >> Is there any syntax to check if something is either disabled or built as
5 >> a module?
6 >
7 > Very problematic. What is built in for the currently running kernel
8 > can be fairly reliably determined by grepping /proc/config.gz - IF
9 > support for that was enabled in the kernel. But, there is no
10 > guarantee that this kernel will be running on the next boot.
11 > Determining what is build as a module really requires interpreting the
12 > contents of /lib/modules - a module could have been built after the
13 > kernel was built, in which case /proc/config.gz might indicate no
14 > support even though it is supported. I don't think DEVTMPFS can be
15 > made a module, however (not sure on that).
16
17 Sorry, what's the difference between cheching =y and =m? I thought those
18 were both part of the kernel config...
19
20 > You can also check /usr/src/linux/.config, but the sources might not
21 > correspond to the running kernel, or the kernel on the next reboot, or
22 > whatever.
23
24 Ok, what do these checks do right now? I thought that they were checking
25 .config...
26
27 So you're saying that it's perfectly OK to check for =y or =n, but that
28 it's somehow more difficult to check for =m?
29
30 > It really is a touchy situation, hence all the emails in the thread.
31 > You can build something that will work OK 80% of the time though by
32 > checking the source tree.
33
34 I am not taking about introducing a different way to check, just asking
35 if there is a way to make the broadcom-sta check a bit more realistic.
36
37 > Part of me wonders if we should just ship a binary kernel/initramfs as
38 > an option. Then again, users could just use genkernel and get
39 > something like that anyway. My main issue with genkernel is that its
40 > default options are focused more on the install CD than ordinary use -
41 > things like tuners/multimedia/lirc and the like tend to not be
42 > enabled. I would think a typical desktop-oriented distro is going to
43 > enable as a module anything that doesn't cause breakage.
44
45 This won't even solve the issue, even if some people may actually prefer
46 a pre-built kernel.
47
48 It would be a bit more realistic to perform checks against *all* the
49 kernels under /usr/src/linux, in a non-fatal way, of course. This would
50 still generate lots of noise, but would produce a more useful output,
51 like:
52
53 | net-wireless/broadcom-sta - The following issues were found:
54 |
55 | Option CONFIG_B43 cannot be built-in, but was found to be built-in in
56 | the following kernels :
57 |
58 | - linux-2.6.30-gentoo-r5
59 | - linux-2.6.34-gentoo-r6
60 | - linux-3.2.1-gentoo-r2
63 Or maybe have a dedicated directory to store .config's portage should
64 check against, and check only against these.
65
66 But, definitely, fatal checks should not be a default, there are way too
67 many scenarios.
70 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
71 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/