From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:57:15
1 On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
2 >
3 > Sorry, what's the difference between cheching =y and =m? I thought those
4 > were both part of the kernel config...
5
6 I'm talking about /proc/config.gz, which only reflects .config at the
7 time that the kernel was built. So, build with config=n, then set
8 config=m and install the modules but don't replace the kernel. Now
9 /proc/config.gz still says n, but the module is there and works fine.
10 And this is in fact the easiest way to add a module for something that
11 you didn't realize you needed at kernel build time - you can do this
12 on a running system.
15 >> You can also check /usr/src/linux/.config, but the sources might not
16 >> correspond to the running kernel, or the kernel on the next reboot, or
17 >> whatever.
18 >
19 > Ok, what do these checks do right now? I thought that they were checking
20 > .config...
21
22 I dunno. I wasn't talking about how the current config checks work.
23 The question was whether it was possible to determine how the kernel
24 was configured - I was answering in general.
27 > So you're saying that it's perfectly OK to check for =y or =n, but that
28 > it's somehow more difficult to check for =m?
29
30 My previous paragraph was referring to checking config.gz - and that
31 is unreliable for modules. /usr/src/linux/.config is unreliable for
32 the reason I stated in the next paragraph - it doesn't necessarily
33 reflect the running kernel.
34
35 > This won't even solve the issue, even if some people may actually prefer
36 > a pre-built kernel.
37
38 Depends on the issue. There isn't just one issue under discussion in
39 this thread. A fairly bulletproof kernel solves a lot of issues in
40 general as it can have newbie-safe defaults (like just about anything
41 in any config check). There is a reason that most distros don't need
42 config checks.
43
44 > But, definitely, fatal checks should not be a default, there are way too
45 > many scenarios.
46
47 Yup - just trying to point out some of the perils. As I said there
48 are lots of 80% solutions.
49
50 Rich