From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Appropriate location to publish experimental stages for Alt
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 03:07:38
1 Hello!
2
3 On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o> wrote:
4 > On 09/09/17 12:23, R0b0t1 wrote:
5 >> On Saturday, September 9, 2017, Johnson Steward <i@××××××××.moe> wrote:
6 >>> Hello,
7 >>> I've been messing with Gentoo FreeBSD these days and, finally, got to the
8 >> current latest version available. As upgrading is really a tiring process
9 >> (lots and lots and lots of bootstrapping the tool chain and bunches of
10 >> blocks in the current stages), I'm thinking of sharing my currently working
11 >> system as a staged for further testing for those who are interested.
12 >>> Yet I can't come up with an appropriate location for the stage4 to be
13 >> hosted. 1.4GB is obviously too large for a pastebin even if
14 >> bzip2-compressed, and consumer-level cloud storage providers like Google
15 >> Drive or OneDrive will create unnecessary chaos when trying to actually
16 >> install the system (virtually impossible to interact with that
17 >> JavaScript-based system within the FreeBSD livecd), and I don't have an
18 >> account for Google Cloud Storage or AWS either.
19 >>> Is there a suitable location to host such a stage? I'm currently not a
20 >> Gentoo developer, yet I really want my work to benefit the Gentoo FreeBSD
21 >> community.
22 >>> Thanks,
23 >>>
24 >>> Johnson Steward
25 >>
26 >> Contact desultory@g.o.
27 >>
28 > While I am willing to help people find suitable avenues for
29 > contributions to Gentoo; that reply, especially unqualified and coming
30 > barely half an hour after the initial post was made, rather strongly
31 > implies that I would be the right point of contact to actually get the
32 > stages hosted. That is simply not the case.
35 I realize there may be more suitable points of contact. I suppose I
36 can see now how that might be the case now.
37
38 > I would, at best, have directed them similarly to how robbat2 did,
39 > probably while lacking some of the details which he posted. Further,
40 > they were already posting on gentoo-dev, so they were inquiring
41 > somewhere that is virtually assured of reaching suitable persons.
44 I am not really certain as to the purpose of gentoo-dev, so my
45 apologies. Sometimes developers use it and sometimes they do not.
46 There have been technical posts which have languished before. I may
47 have been too quick to reply, as you have said.
48
49 > So, please, if you are going to suggest to others that they contact me
50 > to help them find a suitable point of contact, do not do so on
51 > gentoo-dev (as they have almost certainly reached suitable persons
52 > already), and make it explicitly clear that I would only be helping them
53 > find a suitable point of contact with which to proceed.
56 I did not think to clarify. At worst you would have gotten all of the
57 information up front and had to refer him to someone else. I can't
58 imagine he would have minded, but I apologize for taking liberties
59 with both of your time. I am only trying to help, sir. I apologize for
60 not being very smart. Some day I hope do accomplish something useful
61 but it seems a long way off. I pray for that day every day, but I may
62 have to wait until I go to Heaven.
63
64 Respectfully,
65 R0b0t1