From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Appropriate location to publish experimental stages for Alt
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 02:58:44
1 On 09/09/17 12:23, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > On Saturday, September 9, 2017, Johnson Steward <i@××××××××.moe> wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >> I've been messing with Gentoo FreeBSD these days and, finally, got to the
5 > current latest version available. As upgrading is really a tiring process
6 > (lots and lots and lots of bootstrapping the tool chain and bunches of
7 > blocks in the current stages), I'm thinking of sharing my currently working
8 > system as a staged for further testing for those who are interested.
9 >> Yet I can't come up with an appropriate location for the stage4 to be
10 > hosted. 1.4GB is obviously too large for a pastebin even if
11 > bzip2-compressed, and consumer-level cloud storage providers like Google
12 > Drive or OneDrive will create unnecessary chaos when trying to actually
13 > install the system (virtually impossible to interact with that
14 > JavaScript-based system within the FreeBSD livecd), and I don't have an
15 > account for Google Cloud Storage or AWS either.
16 >> Is there a suitable location to host such a stage? I'm currently not a
17 > Gentoo developer, yet I really want my work to benefit the Gentoo FreeBSD
18 > community.
19 >> Thanks,
20 >>
21 >> Johnson Steward
22 >
23 > Contact desultory@g.o.
24 >
25 While I am willing to help people find suitable avenues for
26 contributions to Gentoo; that reply, especially unqualified and coming
27 barely half an hour after the initial post was made, rather strongly
28 implies that I would be the right point of contact to actually get the
29 stages hosted. That is simply not the case.
30
31 I would, at best, have directed them similarly to how robbat2 did,
32 probably while lacking some of the details which he posted. Further,
33 they were already posting on gentoo-dev, so they were inquiring
34 somewhere that is virtually assured of reaching suitable persons.
35
36 So, please, if you are going to suggest to others that they contact me
37 to help them find a suitable point of contact, do not do so on
38 gentoo-dev (as they have almost certainly reached suitable persons
39 already), and make it explicitly clear that I would only be helping them
40 find a suitable point of contact with which to proceed.
41
42 > Thank you for your work. There's still lots of things that are harder than
43 > they should be.
44 >
45 > Cheers,
46 > R0b0t1