From: Fred Van Andel <fava@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage + bittorrent anyone?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:53:29
1 Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o> wrote:
2 (02/16/2004 10:38)
3
4 >On Monday 16 February 2004 12:27, Fred Van Andel wrote:
5 ><snip>
6 >>
7 >> In theory I am working on a P2P system specific to the needs of gentoo,
8 >> however I must admit that I have not worked on it for a while. Will
9 >> someone please kick me in the *ss to get me working on it again.
10 >
11 >Or, you could start a project or put it in cvs if you wanted. I've been
12 >interested in something like this for awhile, I could at least share what
13 >notes I've come up with. It would be nice to get a few people working on
14 >something like this.
15
16 That is the intent.
17
18 Trying to start a public project based only on an idea or a bare spec I think world be a mistake, there first must be a clearly documented framework with working (if incomplete) code.
19
20 I am 30% to 40% complete with that framework and I will make it public when it is more polished.
21
22 --------------------------
23
24 I forgot to add the following to the original post so I am adding it here:
25
26 The content of the network needs to be tightly controlled. We are dealing with source code here and the consequences of someone being able to inject malicious code or malicious files into the network would be unthinkable. Therefore ALL files on the network MUST be vetted by a central server, and ONLY files allowed by the central server would be allowed on the network. All files transfered over the network MUST be checked to make sure that they match the checksums of the authorized files.
27
28 I also want to create a network that is 100% legal content so that when the RIAA or MPAA goes on a rampage we will be unaffected.
29
30 As far as I know there are no p2p networks that allow this much central control, the trend in p2p networks is away from central controll because of liability issues.
31
32 Fred Van Andel
33 fava@g.o
34 GPG KeyID: 76526AD599455482
35 GPG fingerprint: 64E4 4BAB 9C99 D565 3E3C F5D0 7652 6AD5 9945 5482
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list