From: neuron <neuron@×××××××××××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage + bittorrent anyone?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:37:36
2 > The content of the network needs to be tightly controlled. We are dealing with source code here and the consequences of someone being able to inject malicious code or malicious files into the network would be unthinkable. Therefore ALL files on the network MUST be vetted by a central server, and ONLY files allowed by the central server would be allowed on the network. All files transfered over the network MUST be checked to make sure that they match the checksums of the authorized files.
5 bittorrent uses sha1 to checksum the files. If you could put the torrents on one central server every mirror would be fine, or it'd redownload the part of the file it found a bad hash on.
9 > I also want to create a network that is 100% legal content so that when the RIAA or MPAA goes on a rampage we will be unaffected.
10
11 bittorrent is 100% legal.
14 > As far as I know there are no p2p networks that allow this much central control, the trend in p2p networks is away from central controll because of liability issues.
15
16 bittorrent does generally have one tracker, although in some "extended" versions you can have mirrors for them now. Dunno if this has made it into the offical version.
20 I think modifying bittorrent is the way to go here. Though a lot of performance work would have to be done, both server and client would have to be optimized for speed, and would have to be able to use fewer ports, or maybe 1 port handling everything. (would be a bit of a pain to modify, but it'd be a very welcome addition to the main tree I'd think).
21
22 Might also be interesting to talk to the bittorrent author (or maybe theshadow) to see what their thoughts on how this could be done is.
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list