From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 2 policy for portage tree
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 00:22:52
1 On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 00:11 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 19:09:50 -0500
3 > Olivier Crête <tester@g.o> wrote:
4 > > I'd like to go further and ask that for the next EAPI change, we only
5 > > allow ebuilds using it into the tree once a version of portage that
6 > > supports it has gone stable. And then, not make any ebuild with the
7 > > new EAPI stable for 60 more days so that the new EAPI related code in
8 > > portage can be tested properly.
9 >
10 > The "can be tested properly" phase is when it's in ~arch...
11
12 That also means that to pull a significant number of ebuilds it forces
13 mostly everyone to test it.. and that part is annoying.. The testing
14 should be two phased, the first for regression (against existing
15 ebuilds), and once thats stable, then we can test with new ebuilds...
18 Olivier Crête
19 tester@g.o
20 Gentoo Developer