From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] common ebuild mistakes
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 20:22:21
1 Martin, Stephen wrote: [Fri May 23 2003, 03:15:33PM EDT]
2 > I've a couple of questions about this. Last night I emerged mplayer and
3 > noticed that aalib didn't get installed even though I had it in USE.
4 > Obviously, fixing this is a trivial change to the RDEPEND section of the
5 > ebuild (aalib is autodetected by mplayer and so no change to $myconf is
6 > necessary).
7
8 Two comments here:
9
10 1. It should be in both DEPEND and RDEPEND, since aalib is required at
11 both compile-time and run-time.
12
13 2. Changing $myconf is necessary. The presence of aalib on the system
14 should not determine whether mplayer uses aalib. That should be
15 determined by the USE flag. In other words, mplayer should not use
16 aalib when USE=-aalib, even if aalib exists on the system.
17
18 Portage provides a couple nice shortcuts to make #2 easier. Those are
19 "use_enable" and "use_with". For example (from vim.eclass)
20
21 myconf="--with-features=huge \
22 --enable-cscope \
23 --enable-multibyte"
24 myconf="${myconf} `use_enable gpm`"
25 myconf="${myconf} `use_enable perl perlinterp`"
26 myconf="${myconf} `use_enable python pythoninterp`"
27 myconf="${myconf} `use_enable ruby rubyinterp`"
28
29 > What's the best way to handle small changes like this?
30 > Should I just file a bug and state what needs to be done, or should I
31 > file a bug and attach a diff? Is there a rule of thumb for how large a
32 > change has to be in order to warrant a diff or ebuild?
33
34 If you always attach a diff, then there's no room for misinterpretation
35 of your instructions. I'd suggest always attaching a diff except for a
36 pure version bump.
37
38 Aron
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list