From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Temporary DevRel actions for CoC violations
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 22:48:44
1 On 06/19/2013 09:15 PM, gmt@×××××.us wrote:
2 > Sorry to hear you have such a low opinion of the socialization of Gentoo
3 > developers. Since I'm not one of them, I'll just put forth my 2c in on
4 > this, without fear of "consequences."
5
6 Yet even users not behaving will get a friendly warning and might be
7 restricted in their access to our media.
8
9 > Am I the only one who feels that trolling, abuse, and so forth, are largely
10 > in the eye of the beholder, and that lively, impassioned, constructive
11 > debate may seem to many readers like hyperbole and ad hominem attack?
12
13 So better to try to think twice and write when you are sure you are as
14 clear as possible =)
15
16 > As long as I can remember, candid and even ostensibly hostile debate and
17 > argument have been a part of the Gentoo process (the same goes for a great
18 > many open-source projects). Thus far, although not without some frustration
19 > and angst, Gentoo has weathered these storms, and somehow managed to make
20 > sound decisions based on technical and practical merit, after all is said
21 > and done.
22
23 Sure, but since we are getting more and more people burnt by the process
24 and nothing is gained or lost between:
25
26 "You suck and this idea is not going to fly at all"
27
28 and
29
30 "I'm sure it will not work"
31
32 > Have you considered the possibility, Markos, that, although not pretty to
33 > look at, such conflicts provide an important cathartic channel to relieve
34 > certain "psychological pressures?" In environments where everyone is
35 > expected, on pain of discipline, to "be civil" all the time, my experience
36 > is that folks start to build up resentments which eventually "explode"
37 > forth, spectacularly, despite -- indeed, one might say, because of -- their
38 > best efforts to conform to those expectations.
39
40 You can be direct and yet not infringe the CoC.
41
42 > IIRC, Gentoo already has rules forbidding a laundry-list of antisocial
43 > behaviors like racism, sexism, threats of violence, and so forth, and some
44 > provisions in place to handle violators of that policy, does it not?
45
46 Yes and now is being enforced fully.
47
48 > Further -- and please take this as more of a rhetorical flourish than a
49 > genuine concern, but, I wonder, whose job it is to muzzle you, Markos, if
50 > you, yourself get out of line, and will they dare perform it?
51
52 The rest of devrel still does have full power, the quick action of the
53 devrel leader is just a in between once we got to agree on the
54 quick-action protocol. We have a lengthy procedure for major
55 infringement and it doesn't work for small infringements.
56
57 > Has a clear consensus emerged that existing rules are not strong enough?
58
59 Is not a matter of rules, but procedures to enforce the rules.
60
61 > Or perhaps, are a vocal minority just butt-hurt about some particular
62 > discussion that happened recently? I'm asking fully in earnest, and I
63 > sincerely hope -- and genuinely presume -- I don't have to worry that I'll
64 > be muzzled for doing so, on the basis that I'm "trolling" or what-have-you.
65
66 No minorities had been considered, vocal or silent.
67
68 > Why should I even feel the need to say so? Perhaps, that is my problem and
69 > sheer paranoia, but surely, you can appreciate how such an announcement can
70 > potentially have certain "chilling effects," and that the merits of strict
71 > enforcement of such well-intended policies are not necessarily so clear as
72 > they might seem on first glance.
73
74 Having a gentler tone would just keep the technical field less prone to
75 be encrusted with pointless emotional hindrances. Everybody likes to
76 side between Good and Evil, here we should just have Working and Broken.
77
78 lu
79
80 PS: I'd advise to try to tone down another notch your vocabulary if you
81 are afraid of getting some penalty for foul language.