From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync speed and space taken
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:02:32
1 Allen Parker posted <9f27901604101016497d40b0a@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
2 below, on Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:49:34 -0800:
3
4 > I don't need my emerge sync's taking 45 minutes on average on a 5Mbit
5 > line in france... *45 minutes*
6
7 If your emerge syncs are taking *THAT* long, on a 5Mbit line, somethings
8 TERRIBLY WRONG! I have a cable modem here (Phoenix, AZ, US), capped @
9 4Mbps, and my syncs take perhaps a couple minutes, short enough time that
10 I usually do it interactively -- type in the command, and watch it work,
11 then do an emerge -auD world to see what is there to change, after that.
12
13 FWIW, I note that much of the time, it's actually not downloading
14 anything, only checking stuff locally (presumably doing local md5 sums
15 and matching against the new ones in the initially d/led file to see if
16 they've changed), in the background. Only the initial file d/l, and the
17 two-line entries with the percent complete and etc on the second line, are
18 actually transferred. The rest of the time is spent locally, generally
19 CPU bound (single thread/CPU only) That being the case, I suspect the
20 reason it takes you 45 minutes and me substantially less than five, may be
21 due to local CPU processing power. I'm running a dual AMD64 Opteron (1 gig
22 memory, swap entirely kernel disabled so the kernel doesn't bother with it
23 at all) here, altho as I mentioned, portage/python doesn't appear to be
24 multi-threaded, so it only tops off one CPU. If you are running something
25 less powerful, that'd probably explain your longer sync times even with a
26 fatter internet pipe.
27
28 .. About 3 and a half minutes. I just timed it.
32 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
33 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
34 Benjamin Franklin
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list