From: Allen Parker <infowolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rsync speed and space taken
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:49:35
1 <calm rant>
2 why is it that developers can't spend an extra moment or 2 tar/bz2'ing
3 their patchsets and uploading them to the mirrors instead of including
4 them where they are and making the portage tree bulge from the seams?
5 there are patchsets that are currently in <pkgname>/files for packages
6 that are only useful on a graphical workstation... for people that run
7 servers, this seems like quite a bit of cruft. there are currently
8 100,712 files in /usr/portage... does this seem a little ridiculous to
9 anyone else?
10 </calm rant>
11
12 <angry rant>
13 why don't we put more stuff in mirror://gentoo/ ?? ${FILESDIR} has too
14 much SHIT in it... i appreciate that patches, etc have been placed
15 there... but we REALLY need to find a better place. I don't need my
16 emerge sync's taking 45 minutes on average on a 5Mbit line in
17 france... *45 minutes* ...just PLEASE keep the SHIT out of the portage
18 tree.
19
20 SHIT: (noun);
21 1. useless stuff that has no business being in my portage tree.
22 2. stuff that i'll never have use for... see #1
23 3. anything related to X11, kde, gnome, etc on a server.
24 </angry rant>
25
26 that's my 2/100ths of a monetary unit.
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list