From: cilly <cilly@××××××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] guidline to set a timeline of removal of ebuild from stable tree
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:56:47
1 On Jun 12, 2007, at 1:21 PM, Petteri Räty wrote:
2
3 > Nope and they should usually be kept but we can't make a hard rule
4 > because there are cases where the old ebuilds don't work any more. If
5 > you find that a broken version slipped the cracks of the arch teams
6 > and
7 > made it to stable with the old version removed, file a bug to
8 > bugs.gentoo.org and hopefully the maintainer learns from his/her
9 > mistake
10 > of removing it too soon. If the maintainer keeps on doing the same
11 > thing, then you can try to escalate things to qa/devrel. If you are
12 > using ~arch, then encountering some broken stuff is fully expected,
13 > just
14 > file a bug and the maintainer is expected to react in a timely manner.
15
16 I agree, if an ebuild is broken then it should be removed since it
17 doesn't work at all. But rather than exchanging the broken ebuild
18 with a version bump it is sometimes more advisable to repair the
19 broken ebuild and increase the integer of -rx instead of replacing
20 the broken ebuild with a masked one. Very often bugs are filed after
21 a package has been unmasked and so it is better to have a working
22 older ebuild.
23
24 Of course, this is just a case scenario which may happen. To prevent
25 such rare cases is in mind of every user. Well, I still think, leave
26 it up to the users and give them time to choose between ebuilds and
27 move them to overlay, instead of forcing them to query the source for
28 dead packages.--
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list