From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc: use iproute2 for all network handling in linux
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:57:43
1 Mike Frysinger schrieb:
2 >>>>> until we have replacement for all of its tools, it's always going to be
3 >>>>> there.
4 >>>>
5 >>>> After net-tools is no longer needed for basic setups (which I understand
6 >>>> will be still the case after the proposed changes), why should it remain
7 >>>> in the system set?
8 >>>
9 >>> you snipped the following sentence where i explained why net-tools can't
10 >>> be removed. iproute2 replaces *most* of net-tools, not *all*.
11 >>
12 >> And do we need *all* of net-tools for basic setups? You said that
13 >> currently openrc uses the host and domain name tools, but iirc sysctl
14 >> can set hostname/domainname too (note that I do not to say that using
15 >> sysctl is preferable).
16 >
17 > yes, host/domain names can be set through sysctl, but as you say, that isn't
18 > exactly preferable, and brings its own set of troubles.
19 > -mike
20
21 Ok, and do you see any other parts of net-tools that are needed for
22 basic setups?
25 Best regards,
26 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn