From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc: use iproute2 for all network handling in linux
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 06:11:22
1 On Sunday 13 November 2011 19:57:05 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger schrieb:
3 > >>>>> until we have replacement for all of its tools, it's always going to
4 > >>>>> be there.
5 > >>>>
6 > >>>> After net-tools is no longer needed for basic setups (which I
7 > >>>> understand will be still the case after the proposed changes), why
8 > >>>> should it remain in the system set?
9 > >>>
10 > >>> you snipped the following sentence where i explained why net-tools
11 > >>> can't be removed. iproute2 replaces *most* of net-tools, not *all*.
12 > >>
13 > >> And do we need *all* of net-tools for basic setups? You said that
14 > >> currently openrc uses the host and domain name tools, but iirc sysctl
15 > >> can set hostname/domainname too (note that I do not to say that using
16 > >> sysctl is preferable).
17 > >
18 > > yes, host/domain names can be set through sysctl, but as you say, that
19 > > isn't exactly preferable, and brings its own set of troubles.
20 >
21 > Ok, and do you see any other parts of net-tools that are needed for
22 > basic setups?
23
24 not really
25 -mike