From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 18:11:54
1 On December 3, 2017 1:35:23 PM PST, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >The best way to reach specific Gentoo developers is through Bugzilla.
4 >This gives the best chance for focused discussion on the specific issue
5 >without unnecessary distraction for other developers who are not
6 >interested in the specific topic.
7
8 While this is true for bugs, is it true for everything else as well? Bugzilla seems to me to be a more reactive, rather than proactive, tool when dealing with changes of behaviour in particular packages, eclasses, etc.. That is to say, if I object to the current behaviour in a particular eclass, in Portage, or in some core package with high impact, I can file a bug. If someone is considering changing behaviour and I want to voice my opinion on that proposal, Bugzilla is less helpful. Case 1, the developer does it without non-dev-community input and I am left with the only choice being to object after the fact, when my system is already broken. Case 2, the developer files a bug describing the change and then implements it; in this case, we suffer from the problem that Bugzilla isn’t so easily discoverable, given the number of bugs filed; gentoo-dev has the nice property that the maintainers self-select which proposed changes are important enough to announce, which Bugzilla doesn’t do. So if I wanted to be notified of all important changes to core system packages on Bugzilla, today, I would have to (1) choose the set of packages to follow myself, probably missing a few in the process, and (2) filter out the unimportant bug mail which currently never reaches this list at all.
11 Christopher Head