From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keywording, for the umpteenth time
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 21:22:59
1 On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:51:51 -0500 Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Wouldn't it be better from a QA perspective to go back to the (really)
4 | old policy of dropping anything you can't test on. I know that puts
5 | more work on you guys, but this is only going to get worse as we get
6 | more devs. Wouldn't it be better to nip this in the bud now. Maybe
7 | broaden the arch teams by giving some devs access to remote boxes.
8
9 Not really. Dropping to ~arch when bumping works well. Sure, ~arch does
10 occasionally end up broken, but it's better than us lagging behind
11 massively. There're too many packages and not enough people these
12 days...
13
14 The assumption is, if foo-1.2 works on, say, sparc, then foo-1.3
15 probably will too to the extent that we're happy for it to go to ~sparc.
16 On the other hand, we're *not* confident enough in upstreams' abilities
17 to always put out perfect releases that we're prepared to move things to
18 stable without explicit testing.
19
20 See, we *really* don't want arch to get broken. We'd rather ~arch didn't
21 break either, of course, but taking the occasional hit there is
22 acceptable if it lets us keep everything up to date.
23
24 | Get every dev access to all the supported arches (some of this could
25 | probably be done with emulators of some sort, qemu or somesuch). Make
26 | them test on every arch before they change any keywords.
27
28 Not gonna happen. Emulators don't cut it and won't find all the problems
29 (but they will find a load of other bogus non-issues). Plus, from
30 experience I'd say that at least half our devs wouldn't have a clue
31 where to start when doing arch testing...
32
33 Then there's the issue of most alt-archs having far higher QA standards
34 than x86 anyway, and us not wanting to sink to what x86 considers
35 acceptable for marking stable.
36
37 From experience -- the current policy as it is now *works*, so long as
38 everyone follows it.
41 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
42 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
43 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm