From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright issues
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:38:58
1 On 11/20/2012 04:26 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Anthony G Basile wrote:
3 >> The other levels are files and projects. So this leads to the other
4 >> confusion, do you touch every file in the project when forking etc.
5 >> The answer appears to be that a file is the unit, but from practice
6 >> I've seen all three. What is correct is what passes in the courts
7 >> and I do not want to, nor have I ever, tested that. [...]
8 > The FSF appears to take the standpoint that the project as a whole is
9 > the unit. In their "Information for maintainers of GNU software" [1]
10 > there is the following paragraph:
11 >
12 > | To update the list of year numbers, add each year in which you have
13 > | made nontrivial changes to the package. [...] When you add the new
14 > | year, it is not required to keep track of which files have seen
15 > | significant changes in the new year and which have not. It is
16 > | recommended and simpler to add the new year to all files in the
17 > | package, and be done with it for the rest of the year.
18 >
19 > I've also found [2] which says that the above is based on legal advice
20 > from Eben Moglen.
21 >
22 > Ulrich
23 >
24 > [1]<http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnustandards/maintain.texi?root=gnustandards&view=markup>
25 > [2]<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-12/msg00327.html>
26 >
27 Thank you Ulrich. We'll read that carefully and we'll act accordingly.
30 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
31 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
32 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
33 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
34 GnuPG ID : D0455535