From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright issues
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:27:06
1 >>>>> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Anthony G Basile wrote:
2
3 > The other levels are files and projects. So this leads to the other
4 > confusion, do you touch every file in the project when forking etc.
5
6 > The answer appears to be that a file is the unit, but from practice
7 > I've seen all three. What is correct is what passes in the courts
8 > and I do not want to, nor have I ever, tested that. [...]
9
10 The FSF appears to take the standpoint that the project as a whole is
11 the unit. In their "Information for maintainers of GNU software" [1]
12 there is the following paragraph:
13
14 | To update the list of year numbers, add each year in which you have
15 | made nontrivial changes to the package. [...] When you add the new
16 | year, it is not required to keep track of which files have seen
17 | significant changes in the new year and which have not. It is
18 | recommended and simpler to add the new year to all files in the
19 | package, and be done with it for the rest of the year.
20
21 I've also found [2] which says that the above is based on legal advice
22 from Eben Moglen.
23
24 Ulrich
25