From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright issues (Was: udev-ng?)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:51:24
1 On 11/18/2012 11:34 PM, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:21:20PM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
3 >> On 11/18/2012 11:22 PM, Greg KH wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:05:05PM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
5 >>>> On 11/18/2012 09:58 PM, Greg KH wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> <an on-topic discussion about copyright thread response from me snipped>
8 >>>
9 >>>> We develop open source software in public repositories. A developer
10 >>>> decided it would be helpful to change the software name systemd to
11 >>>> eudev, among other things, in various files after misunderstanding what
12 >>>> the Foundation officers in charge of legal matters had approved. You
13 >>>> objected to it. I asked for clarification after seeing that your name
14 >>>> had not been removed from any copyright notices. You explained your
15 >>>> complaint. I asked you to wait for the person who wrote the commit to
16 >>>> fix it. It was fixed.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> That is all that was necessary. Whining on the list did not wake the
19 >>>> author of that commit sooner. Furthermore, the changes that you wanted
20 >>>> would have been made in a few days had you not become involved.
21 >>>
22 >>> None of the words you wrote here seem to me to be related to my response
23 >>> about copyright, the Gentoo Foundation, and how copyright works for
24 >>> software projects at all. So I'm a bit confused, what are you concerned
25 >>> about here?
26 >>>
27 >>> greg k-h
28 >>
29 >> Your issue has been resolved. You can stop beating the dead horse now.
30 >
31 > I was responding to a discussion about how copyright works, and how it
32 > should be marked as such for Gentoo-related projects, that was not
33 > correct in my knowledge of copyright law. It had nothing to do with "my
34 > issue", or the udev issue at all, which is why I even changed the
35 > subject.
36 >
37 > Oh well.
38 >
39 > *plonk*
40
41 Greg,
42
43 Thank you for these responses because they did help me understand
44 copyright/left better. I appreciate your expertise in the matter and
45 would hope I can draw on it again in the future, because despite what
46 you said a few emails ago, copyright/left is not something that every
47 software developer understands.
48
49 My fundamental confusion was over the question of what is the smallest
50 copyrightable unit. I think in terms of blame/kudos and the unit that
51 comes to mind is one commit, properly isolated. When a project becomes
52 serious, I get careful about the signoffs vs authors vs reporters etc.
53 And "blame" is as much a part of the game as "kudos".
54
55 The other levels are files and projects. So this leads to the other
56 confusion, do you touch every file in the project when forking etc.
57
58 The answer appears to be that a file is the unit, but from practice I've
59 seen all three. What is correct is what passes in the courts and I do
60 not want to, nor have I ever, tested that. Thus working with copyright
61 is fundamentally different than working with code because I can readily
62 test one but not the other. Since you only gain experience by doing
63 something, I can confidently say I have zero copyright experience.
64
65 Again thanks.
68 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
69 Professor of Information Technology