From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ca-certificates PDEPEND
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:06:09
1 On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 05:28:04PM +0100, Andrea Barisani wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 05:21:42PM +0100, Jakub Moc wrote:
3 > >
4 > > 9.1.2006, 17:12:31, Andrea Barisani wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:08:38AM -0500, solar wrote:
7 > >
8 > > >>
9 > > >> Do you think the PDEPEND of the ca-certs should be tied to a USE= flag?
10 > > >> If so should it be a 'no*certs' flag or a USE=cacerts ?
11 > >
12 > > > USE=cacerts sounds the proper course of action to me.
13 > >
14 > > NOT until use-based deps are in place, plzktnxbye!!! Don't break the damned
15 > > realplayer thing again.
16 >
17 > It's the realplayer thing that should be fixed. Can't believe that
18 > ca-certificates got relatively quiet as a PDEPEND because of that ;).
19
20 I bitched for exactly that; we can't mirror their files, and having
21 the package non fetch restricted is questionable from a license
22 standpoint anyways.
23
24 Either way, one thing that *should* be noted here is that this still
25 doesn't totally fix the issue for realplayer. Curl won't honor/use
26 the cacerts package for example, so we still have the same bug, just
27 different fetcher.
28
29 Adding cacerts to the pdepend effectively is expansion of allowed
30 SRC_URI targets- right now we require all uri to be on standards ports
31 (443, 80) for restricted networks. Now, via this change, we require
32 FETCHCOMMAND to be a binary that supports cacerts.
33
34 We also require any https proxy to support/allow cacerts also, if my
35 understanding of https proxying is correct.
36
37 Finally, this also requires infra to now run with cacerts on for the
38 master mirroring box.
39
40 Basically... I'm still against this change. We require fetchers that
41 support http, and support the standard chain of trust for https. I
42 don't like changing the restrictions just for a (bluntly) stupid
43 upstream that forces downloads through https.
44
45 ~harring