From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Switchup-mode and boottime selector? Was: eselect init
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 19:58:15
1 On Wed, 29 May 2013 14:15:54 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > In order for a different init system to come up, some file(s)
5 > somewhere *MUST* be different, no ifs/ands/ors/buts.
6
7 How true is this in general? It is usually only a change of the init
8 parameter. As far as I heard there is only one exception, /etc/inittab
9 being different between just two init systems; if you know more
10 exceptions, feel free to list them. So, please prove your statement.
11
12 > The problem with an eselect approach is that it's like asking a brain
13 > surgeon to operate on himself.
14
15 eselect and wrappers don't operate on themselves, please elaborate.
16
17 > The proper procedure is to have another brain surgeon operate on him
18 > while the patient is under anesthesia.
19
20 Actually no, we're going a step further. The eselect doesn't touch the
21 wrapper, but only its config; it's like actually changing brain memory.
22
23 > There are a couple of other possible approaches...
24 >
25 > 1) If the 2 systems can achieve peacefull co-existance (i.e. no
26 > identically-named files with different contents) then simply have 2
27 > boot entries in /etc/lilo.conf (or grub equivalant)...
28 >
29 > [SNIP to shorten mail]
30
31 Users can already do this, this isn't a solution.
32
33 We want to make this easier towards the user, therefore doing heavy
34 discussion to exhaust all the alternatives and maybe someone's
35 interested in implementing one of them that appears most feasible.
36
37 > > Having an initr* as a requirement for being able to switch init
38 > > system is maybe a bit too much to ask; same as above, iff nothing
39 > > else ...
40 >
41 > 2) We already have such a solution; it's called the Gentoo minimal
42 > install ISO.
43
44 I agree, I have mine always available; yet some people are consistent
45 in coming up with solutions for when all hell breaks lose.
46
47 > If the 2 init systems conflict over identically-named
48 > files, I strongly recommend that the changes be done while booted
49 > from a gentoo minimal install ISO.
50 >
51 > [SNIP to shorten mail]
52
53 Again: Users can already do this, this isn't a solution. See above...
56 With kind regards,
57
58 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
59 Gentoo Developer
60
61 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
62 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
63 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D