From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Switchup-mode and boottime selector? Was: eselect init
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 20:55:35
1 On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 09:56:00PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > > There are a couple of other possible approaches...
3 > >
4 > > 1) If the 2 systems can achieve peacefull co-existance (i.e. no
5 > > identically-named files with different contents) then simply have 2
6 > > boot entries in /etc/lilo.conf (or grub equivalant)...
7 > >
8 > > [SNIP to shorten mail]
9 >
10 > Users can already do this, this isn't a solution.
11 >
12 > We want to make this easier towards the user, therefore doing heavy
13 > discussion to exhaust all the alternatives and maybe someone's
14 > interested in implementing one of them that appears most feasible.
15
16 Since users can already do this, why are we bothering with re-inventing
17 the wheel? How does running an eselect init command make it easier for
18 the user than telling them to edit their boot loader config file?
19
20 Gentoo users are expected to build their kernel and write their boot
21 loader config file initially, so why are we trying to dumb this down?
22
23 William