From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Switchup-mode and boottime selector? Was: eselect init
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 19:35:10
1 On 05/29/2013 09:55 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 09:56:00PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
3 >>> There are a couple of other possible approaches...
4 >>>
5 >>> 1) If the 2 systems can achieve peacefull co-existance (i.e.
6 >>> no identically-named files with different contents) then simply
7 >>> have 2 boot entries in /etc/lilo.conf (or grub equivalant)...
8 >>>
9 >>> [SNIP to shorten mail]
10 >>
11 >> Users can already do this, this isn't a solution.
12 >>
13 >> We want to make this easier towards the user, therefore doing
14 >> heavy discussion to exhaust all the alternatives and maybe
15 >> someone's interested in implementing one of them that appears
16 >> most feasible.
17 >
18 > Since users can already do this, why are we bothering with
19 > re-inventing the wheel? How does running an eselect init command
20 > make it easier for the user than telling them to edit their boot
21 > loader config file?
22 >
23 > Gentoo users are expected to build their kernel and write their
24 > boot loader config file initially, so why are we trying to dumb
25 > this down?
26 >
27 > William
30 There is no harm in providing alternatives.
33 Regards,
34 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
35 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang