From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACE gcc and libc dependency
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 11:33:27
1 On Wed, 4 May 2011 14:09:03 +0300
2 Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Maybe we should add a new USE flag that will install just the
4 > > libraries.
5 >
6 > (USE="justlibs")
7
8 Then you'd have to update nearly every package that deps upon GCC to
9 have a [-justlibs] dependency. Arguably not so bad for GCC, but in
10 general it's a huge problem, and it's the reason [client] and [server]
11 flags aren't popular.
12
13 (And if features like those are desired, please don't start updating
14 zillions of ebuilds with [-blah] flags. Ask for an EAPI feature that
15 lets flags in IUSE be marked as "require me this way unless something
16 explicitly says otherwise"...)
19 Ciaran McCreesh