From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: chithanh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in profiles: ChangeLog package.mask
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 15:17:37
1 On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 17:07:41 +0200
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Denis Dupeyron schrieb:
5 > >> When someone asks about changing a package which someone else
6 > >> maintains, I always suggest reporting a bug about it. Do you think
7 > >> that is generally ok, or not the proper way to communicate?
8 > >
9 > > Exactly. Bugzilla is not a communication tool,
10 >
11 > > Communication is (in order of
12 > > effectivity) in-person meeting, phone, irc, email.
13 >
14 > But all comments in bugs are sent to the maintainer via email, at
15 > least in default settings. So in my opinion, the communication aspect
16 > of email is also included in bugzilla.
17 >
18 > > If you're not using
19 > > any of these tools you're not communicating effectively and you
20 > > can't expect things to go smoothly.
21 >
22 > I think that over direct email, bugzilla has the advantage of being
23 > visible in the public record. And in contrast to mailing lists, only
24 > interested parties will receive the messages.
25 >
26 > But if you think that is not the case, we can ask council to clarify
27 > whether a change announced in bugzilla counts as proper communication
28 > with the maintainer.
29
30 It's probably something in between: proper communication is when the
31 other party has received and understood your message. It can fail in
32 every of the above mentioned methods for a wide variety of reasons ;)
33 (eg: poorly explained, not listening, not willing to listen, being
34 drunk, gmail ate my email, etc.)
35
36 Alexis.