From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: Dan Naumov <jago@×××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Very bad ebuild-writing practice.
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 09:45:02
1 Dan Naumov wrote:
2 >>But suppose someone did want an ebuild for the hourly CVS snapshots?
3 >>How should it be named?
4 >
5 > My personal belief is that ebuilds of hourly CVS snapshots should
6 > never leave the PORTDIR_OVERLAY of the original author. IMHO,
7 > Gentoo Portage is no place for autogenerated, untested CVS stuff.
8 > How are you going to go around non-compiling snapshots of broken
9 > trees and new compile options that appear from time to timw
10 > anyways ?
11
12 Well I think we do need such ebuilds _but_ they gotta be named
13 accordingly. You have to see that it is a cvs ebuild. I for one use
14 mplayer as my multimedia player of choice but I won't use the ebuild
15 because mplayer releases don't come too often. For a very long time
16 there was just the 0.60 release of mplayer which sucked, while cvs
17 always builds (just personal exp tho) and has tons of features. I have
18 not bothered to look at the cvs eclass and build my mplayer myself but
19 mplayer is such an example where a cvs ebuild would be great. Another
20 example is is kde. Why not use the convenience of portage to test the
21 latest kde.
22
23 Alex