From: Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Very bad ebuild-writing practice.
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:42:48
1 On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 01:44, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
2 > Dan Naumov wrote:
3 > >>But suppose someone did want an ebuild for the hourly CVS snapshots?
4 > >>How should it be named?
5 > >
6 > > My personal belief is that ebuilds of hourly CVS snapshots should
7 > > never leave the PORTDIR_OVERLAY of the original author. IMHO,
8 > > Gentoo Portage is no place for autogenerated, untested CVS stuff.
9 > > How are you going to go around non-compiling snapshots of broken
10 > > trees and new compile options that appear from time to timw
11 > > anyways ?
12 >
13 > Well I think we do need such ebuilds _but_ they gotta be named
14 > accordingly. You have to see that it is a cvs ebuild. I for one use
15 > mplayer as my multimedia player of choice but I won't use the ebuild
16 > because mplayer releases don't come too often. For a very long time
17 > there was just the 0.60 release of mplayer which sucked, while cvs
18 > always builds (just personal exp tho) and has tons of features. I have
19 > not bothered to look at the cvs eclass and build my mplayer myself but
20 > mplayer is such an example where a cvs ebuild would be great. Another
21 > example is is kde. Why not use the convenience of portage to test the
22 > latest kde.
23 >
24 > Alex
25
26 Have a look at Dan's kde-cvs ebuilds @
27 http://www.gentoo.org/~danarmak/kde-cvs.html
28
29 I've been using them for the last couple of months with no major
30 problems. I don't think it would be too difficult to adapt them for
31 mplayer or any other application.
32
33 I think that using cvs eclass based ebuilds instead of a snapshot tar
34 ball is preferably, at least the end user is clear on the type of code
35 that they are going to be receiving and attempting to compile.
38 Troy Dack
39 http://linuxserver.tkdack.com http://gentoo.tkdack.com