From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: libpng-1.5 smooth upgrade
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:22:50
1 On Saturday, February 12, 2011 21:37:29 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Il giorno sab, 12/02/2011 alle 18.21 -0500, Mike Frysinger ha scritto:
3 > > patching packages in the tree is a huge hassle,
4 > > you add hassle to end users who d/l random packages and try to build
5 > > things
6 > > themselves, and you make Gentoo non-standard wrt every other distro
7 > > out there.
8 >
9 > What I had in mind was something that would work for upstreams as well,
10 > mostly by having fallback; so if a package supported up to libpng 1.4 it
11 > would search for -lpng14, then -lpng12, then -lpng (and in Gentoo would
12 > hit -lpng14); while one supporting 1.5 as well would go -lpng15 -lpng14
13 > -lpng12 -lpng ...
14 >
15 > i.e. what most already do for berkdb but at some point with us not
16 > providing -lpng at all, if most upstreams would like that idea.
17
18 i'm not sure comparing to berkdb is appropriate. upstream packages using
19 berkdb have themselves changed to doing a version scan before falling back to
20 the canonical one. if upstream packages start changing to do that with
21 libpng, then perhaps we can talk about restructuring libpng ebuilds, but it
22 seems to me that upstream packages are more likely to simply update their code
23 to work with libpng-1.5 than add a version scan for libpng-1.4.
24
25 thus it's a lot more sane in the long term to assume that packages support the
26 latest rather than patching everyone (and being forced to carry those custom
27 patches indefinitely) to set the ceiling at the last "known" working version.
28 -mike