From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: sping@g.o, Gentoo Python Project <python@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Volunteers needed] Communicating use (and existence) of USE_PYTHON
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 12:08:35
1 On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 11:35:14 +0100
2 Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > to better communicate USE_PYTHON we could use:
5
6 The first question that comes into my mind is -- why do we need
7 to communicate that? I think that USE_PYTHON is a pretty specific
8 variable which should be used only if specially required (i.e. to keep
9 multiple Python versions ready for use).
10
11 What needs to be fixed IMO is the default value of that variable.
12 If you already disabled switching the active Python version by default,
13 you should also make the Python eclass base its' USE_PYTHON defaults
14 on the active Python version.
15
16 > - notifications from within ebuilds
17
18 Unnecessary repeated complaints are always helpful to users. I think
19 that an elog after Python upgrade should be sufficient.
20
21 > - mentioning in 'man make.conf'
22
23 Not related. We don't describe VIDEO_CARDS, LIRC_DEVICES etc. in that
24 file too.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny