From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Volunteers needed] Communicating use (and existence) of USE_PYTHON
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 12:29:49
1 On 12/03/10 13:05, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > The first question that comes into my mind is -- why do we need
3 > to communicate that? I think that USE_PYTHON is a pretty specific
4 > variable which should be used only if specially required (i.e. to keep
5 > multiple Python versions ready for use).
6 >
7 > What needs to be fixed IMO is the default value of that variable.
8 > If you already disabled switching the active Python version by default,
9 > you should also make the Python eclass base its' USE_PYTHON defaults
10 > on the active Python version.
11
12 USE_PYTHON hits people when emerging a new 2.x slot.
13 Say they have 2.6 installed and add 2.7 to that.
14
15 I agree, that its default value may need re-consideration.
16 After that, patches to the python eclass are needed.
17
18 Depending on how fast we can fix that, communicating status quo before
19 that may still help reduce user frustration. Especially as we have an
20 unmasked 2.7.1 in tree for a few days now.
23 >> - mentioning in 'man make.conf'
24 >
25 > Not related. We don't describe VIDEO_CARDS, LIRC_DEVICES etc. in that
26 > file too.
27
28 Yes, but that's USE_EXPAND stuff - USE_PYTHON is different, at least at
29 the moment. You may still be right, though.
33 Sebastian