From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper installation path for efi binaries (.efi)
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 22:57:05
1 On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 11:45:22PM +0100, Martin Pluskal wrote:
2 > On 4.2.2013 23:34, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 08:13:58PM +0100, Martin Pluskal wrote:
4 > >> Hi
5 > >> I am curious what is the proper path for installation of efi binaries
6 > >> (such as shim.efi) in gentoo. I don't think that installing them
7 > >> directly into /boot/efi... is proper way - it seems to me that
8 > >> /usr/lib64/efi or /usr/libexec/efi is more appropriate location for
9 > >> them. What's your opinion?
10 > >
11 > > It depends on if you want the bootloader to use the binary or not. If
12 > > you do, it needs to be in /boot/efi/, otherwise it will never be able to
13 > > be run by the UEFI system.
14 > Well, in order to boot you have to place .efi into /boot/efi, I am not
15 > sure if it is the best idea to directly install everything with .efi
16 > into /boot/efi. As far as I know, elilo is installed into /usr/lib/elilo
17 > and grub2 is placed into /boot/efi by grub2-install.
18
19 If elilo is in /usr/lib/elilo, the UEFI bios can not run the binary as
20 it can't even see the filesystem to read the binary from.
21
22 So how can anything that is .efi _not_ be in /boot/efi and still work?
23
24 Have you tried this out on your system with any success?
25
26 What exactly is the issue you are trying to solve here?
27
28 thanks,
29
30 greg k-h