From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Open Build Service
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 15:05:29
1 On 14/11/17 02:33 AM, Peter Volkov wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:47 AM, Samuel Bernardo
3 > <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com <mailto:samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com>>
4 > wrote:
5 > The only feature that would be useful for now is emerge obtaining the
6 >
7 > precompiled binary packages to install in containers/VMs from http
8 > rather than nfs[1].
11 > Samuel, probably I miss something but this should work out of box:
12 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide#Web_based_binary_package_host
13 >
14 > Or do you mean something else?
17 I would mirror Peter's concern here -- if you use a "build box" system
18 to generate binary packages with FEATURES="buildpkg", then the
19 consumer systems that would use FEATURES="getbinpkg" will fetch the
20 binary packages with the same standard fetch mechanisms as they do for
21 distfiles (http, https, ftp) based on the value of PORTAGE_BINHOST in
22 make.conf. There shouldn't be any need for NFS from the portage
23 (emerge) perspective.
26 To the project in general:
27
28 You may want to look into the tindeboxing projects for your basis -- I
29 think those might get you closer to a fully automated package building
30 system than working up from catalyst alone.
31
32 The biggest issue you will have with doing these types of builds,
33 though, is dealing with the various use flag differences that various
34 consumer systems may have. From what little I've played with binary
35 builds, if you want to offer binpkg's for an entire system set you
36 pretty much have to synchronize all use flags across all systems. So
37 a realistic deployment will essentially require (a) adherence to a
38 specific set of static profiles, or (b) a nearly-infinitely-growing
39 number of build profiles that match each permutation of global and
40 per-package use flag settings that your consumers would have.