From: Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Open Build Service
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 21:28:17
1 Hi,
4 On 11/14/2017 03:04 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
5 > The biggest issue you will have with doing these types of builds,
6 > though, is dealing with the various use flag differences that various
7 > consumer systems may have. From what little I've played with binary
8 > builds, if you want to offer binpkg's for an entire system set you
9 > pretty much have to synchronize all use flags across all systems. So
10 > a realistic deployment will essentially require (a) adherence to a
11 > specific set of static profiles, or (b) a nearly-infinitely-growing
12 > number of build profiles that match each permutation of global and
13 > per-package use flag settings that your consumers would have.
14 Just like you described. There will be a profile for each system
15 environment and that would be integrated in CI/CD using OBS for my
16 proposed use case. Use flags will be optimized for each case only
17 possible with a powerful distribution like Gentoo :P
18
19 Obviously that creating a new profile would need a strong requirement
20 for that ;)
21
22 That's why I think the effort for maintaining profiles would be awesome
23 with the idea proposed by Michael Haubenwallner, with the "Social Linux
24 Distribution Network" sharing Gentoo user's profile
25 setups - with the cache for binary packages to be optional. So the OBS
26 reference in this context would be the profile and the binary repository
27 as optional.
28 The open-source development way of systems described by the schema
29 "profile" would be the next step. Containers or appliances cloud be
30 defined this way for complex deployments.
31
32 Thanks ;)