From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 6 portage is out!
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 16:47:08
1 On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 06:59:19 -0500
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Actually, what is less clear to me is how portage versioning actually
6 >> works, or if we attach any meaning to the version numbers at all.
7 >> Both the stable and unstable series are on 2.2.x, but there are no
8 >> versions in the tree between 2.2.20 and 2.2.23.
11 > So, we have 2 user groups, stable and unstable.
12 >
13 > Current stable is 2.2.20.1
14 > current unstable is 2.2.25 <==just released
15
16 So, my first point was that the version numbering seems to have no
17 relationship to what is stable and unstable. It isn't really meant as
18 a big complaint, but it just suggests a lack of a release strategy.
21 > With 2.2.4 becoming stable, why would we keep the buggy ~ 2.2.3 in the
22 > tree taking up space? We already established that ~ users will have
23 > migrated away from it.
26 Sure, and my comment wasn't really directed at portage in particular,
27 though it is a fair reply because I did use it as an example. Portage
28 is a bit unique in that it has no upstream QA process - the QA is
29 being done entirely within Gentoo. For packages other than portage
30 there should be less reason to drop versions, since they probably
31 wouldn't have been released if they were unsuitable to release.
34 >> That tends
35 >> to result in a situation where if you follow ~arch you end up having
36 >> to accept lots of updates because none of the versions stay in the
37 >> tree long enough to actually get stabilized.
38 >
39 > that happens for some pkgs, if it happens too much for you, update less
40 > often.
41
42 What do you mean by "update less often?" Are you suggesting not
43 running emerge --sync? Not wanting to follow every ~arch version of a
44 package whose stable version has a problem isn't the same as not
45 wanting to update your entire tree, and there is no reason to force
46 users to choose between only those choices.
49 >> Unless a ~arch package
50 >> version is so broken that it could never be stabilized it is probably
51 >> better to leave them there so that it is easier for users to drop back
52 >> from ~arch to stable without downgrading.
55 > Rich, please re-read your above statements until you see the total
56 > failure in your logic.
57
58 It is a bit ironic that you chose this as the part to quote when
59 adding a snide remark. My whole point was that we shouldn't
60 NEEDLESSLY drop old versions, You seemed to have taken this as a
61 complaint about dropping old versions when there is a valid reason for
62 doing so.
63
64 Your tone here is anything but helpful. My intent was really to
65 contribute to the discussion constructively and point out a pain point
66 for people running mixed-keywords. Perhaps I didn't explain my point
67 as well as I could have. When somebody is saying something that
68 doesn't seem sensible to you, it is usually better to assume that they
69 just didn't make their point well than to assume that they don't have
70 anything worth saying.
73 Rich