From: Ian Delaney <idella4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 6 portage is out!
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 09:28:18
1 On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 11:47:01 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 06:59:19 -0500
7 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
10 > It is a bit ironic that you chose this as the part to quote when
11 > adding a snide remark. My whole point was that we shouldn't
12 > NEEDLESSLY drop old versions, You seemed to have taken this as a
13 > complaint about dropping old versions when there is a valid reason for
14 > doing so.
15 >
16 > Your tone here is anything but helpful. My intent was really to
17 > contribute to the discussion constructively and point out a pain point
18 > for people running mixed-keywords. Perhaps I didn't explain my point
19 > as well as I could have. When somebody is saying something that
20 > doesn't seem sensible to you, it is usually better to assume that they
21 > just didn't make their point well than to assume that they don't have
22 > anything worth saying.
25 Bravo.
26 Lemme think of an example of similar replies I have had to endure in
27 this style.
28 'Your logic / code makes no sense' (Well logical thinking is a tad beyond me yeah)
29
30 One will do. Other authors might recognise their closed minded retorts
31 and other such blunders.
32 What ever was so hard about politely prompting to please re-phrase, or,
33 more casually, run that by me again, or "I need you to re-state that",
34 or even plain 'huh'. Alternatively; wtf are you saying? (Love that one)
35
36 Let's consider the lack of virtues of leaping to the wrong
37 interpretation aka misunderstanding the data put, then jumping in head
38 first & retorting to the 'sender' with what amounts to a blatant
39 smack down. But, as the guides to use of irc tells us in the first
40 place; pure text, absent of the remainder of visual and auditory
41 metadata, offers a highly restricted context, highly prone to error.
42 aka, text on a screen. In other words, a disaster looking for a
43 location.
44
45 Oh and dol-sen don't feel you're being picked on. You of all
46 folk are NOT one to typically fall over this one. Wish it were
47 someone far more 'typical'.
48
49 But I stray, NOT troll.
50 What were we talking about again?