From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Devmanual text on ChangeLogs
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 21:10:21
1 On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 12:00:17PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 30-04-2011 11:46:37 +0300, Petteri Räty wrote:
3 > > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/misc-files/changelog/index.html
4 > >
5 > > There doesn't seem to be a common opinion on what the policy for
6 > > ChangeLog entries is. See:
7 > >
8 > > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_f829da2375f1ceab766a800913cc4998.xml
9 > >
10 > > I propose a simple new text: "Every commit should have an entry in
11 > > ChangeLog." If we eventually autogenerate them from git logs this would
12 > > happen any way (unless some kind of filtering system is in the middle)
13 > > so we could already start now. I think it's better to have more than
14 > > less information available to users.
15 >
16 > Because everytime we need something more sophisticated people come up
17 > with the holy git grail, here is the script to generate a
18 > echangelog-style ChangeLog from CVS, right here, right now.
19 >
20 > It's a naive implementation, but the output shows the differences
21 > between the committed log, and what would be generated from CVS. (The
22 > usernames could be looked up easily, but I was too lazy to do that.)
23 > People can use this to judge if "autogeneration from VCS" is a good
24 > thing or not.
25 >
26 > My conclusion is that you probably want to maintain the ChangeLog
27 > manually.
28 >
29 > I also attached a sample of the script output for net-p2p/transmission
30 > for convenience.
33 > --
34 > Fabian Groffen
35 > Gentoo on a different level
36
37 Since most ( if not all ) of us use the same message on the Changelog
38 and on the commit log, it probably worth the effort of having the rsync
39 servers create the Changelogs before populate the portage tree. Having
40 the servers do that, will also allow us to provide cut down Changelogs
41 ( lets say keep that last 10 entries ) so we can provide a more minimal
42 portage tree, size wise. A huge portage tree might not be a problem for
43 most of us but it sure is for embedded and all kind of similar systems.
44
45 Regards,
46 --
47 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2