From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Devmanual text on ChangeLogs
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 23:12:46
1 Markos Chandras posted on Sun, 01 May 2011 22:08:31 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Having the servers do that, will also allow us to provide cut down
4 > Changelogs ( lets say keep that last 10 entries ) so we can provide a
5 > more minimal portage tree, size wise.
6
7 What about cutting it to the largest whole number of entries that can fit
8 in 4 KB, since many filesystems use 4 KB blocks anyway, with files always
9 taking a whole number of blocks?
10
11 If the file's going to use 4 KB anyway, might as well take advantage of it.
12
13 Taking a look at the top of my last synced portage changelog as what's
14 likely an example from the verbose end, that's thirteen entries, here,
15 plus the header at the top. For most packages I imagine it'd be something
16 like 20 entries.
17
18 (Yes, I know some filesystems don't have that restriction and in fact use
19 one myself, but if we're going for some arbitrary file size, 4 KB is about
20 as reasonable a choice as it gets, precisely /because/ that's the default
21 block size for so many widely used fss.)
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman