From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PyXML
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 17:13:32
1 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o> said:
2 > PyXML is dead:
3 > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/2004-November/010735.html
4 > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/2006-June/011545.html
5 >
6 > PyXML provides _xmlplus module, which replaces xml module (from standard library) at run time,
7 > which might result in various problems.
8 >
9 > I'm planning to implement the following solution:
10 > - Python >=2.7.1-r2:2.7 will provide xml.use_pyxml() function. Calling of this function will be
11 > necessary to use replace xml module with _xmlplus module. Python >=2.7.1-r2:2.7 will be added
12 > to the tree in next week and will be temporarily package.masked. Later this change will be
13 > backported to new versions in older slots.
14 > - All packages, which use PyXML, will have to be patched to call xml.use_pyxml(). The following
15 > code should be added before first import of anything from xml module:
16 >
17 > import xml
18 > if hasattr(xml, "use_pyxml"):
19 > xml.use_pyxml()
20
21 Is this "use_pyxml" upstream? From what you are saying, it is not. In
22 that case, we have just made patches for every package that will never
23 be allowed upstream. Why not do something more worthwhile than waste the
24 time of having to support something that might just become a problem to
25 maintain in the future?
28 Mark Loeser
29 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
30 email - mark AT halcy0n DOT com