From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PyXML
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 17:33:09
1 On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 01:11:57PM -0400, Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o> said:
3 > > PyXML is dead:
4 > > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/2004-November/010735.html
5 > > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/2006-June/011545.html
6 > >
7 > > PyXML provides _xmlplus module, which replaces xml module (from standard library) at run time,
8 > > which might result in various problems.
9 > >
10 > > I'm planning to implement the following solution:
11 > > - Python >=2.7.1-r2:2.7 will provide xml.use_pyxml() function. Calling of this function will be
12 > > necessary to use replace xml module with _xmlplus module. Python >=2.7.1-r2:2.7 will be added
13 > > to the tree in next week and will be temporarily package.masked. Later this change will be
14 > > backported to new versions in older slots.
15 > > - All packages, which use PyXML, will have to be patched to call xml.use_pyxml(). The following
16 > > code should be added before first import of anything from xml module:
17 > >
18 > > import xml
19 > > if hasattr(xml, "use_pyxml"):
20 > > xml.use_pyxml()
21 >
22 > Is this "use_pyxml" upstream? From what you are saying, it is not. In
23 > that case, we have just made patches for every package that will never
24 > be allowed upstream. Why not do something more worthwhile than waste the
25 > time of having to support something that might just become a problem to
26 > maintain in the future?
27 >
28 > --
29 > Mark Loeser
30 > email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
31 > email - mark AT halcy0n DOT com
32 > web - http://www.halcy0n.com
33
34 I second that. Why do we need to make all the work fixing packages
35 instead of letting upstream do their job? I am not so excited to
36 fix every package I maintain as it is quite possible to introduce
37 regressions in the process. Furthermore, I don't understand your first
38 message. You say that you will provide xml.use_pyxml() function on
39 python-2.7. Is this code official or you are just patching the official
40 python releases?
41 Anyway, as I said, I'd rather wait for upstream to fix their packages
42 instead of me.
43
44 Regards,
45 --
46 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2