From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:06:11
1 On 10-11-2005 20:55:37 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 Ok, you want a reaction, because you are Feeling Blue[1], right.
4
5 > On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 20:11 +0100, Grobian wrote:
6 > > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 > > > That's your first misconception right there. Most users don't sign up
8 > > > for things.
9 > >
10 > > Doesn't matter.
11 >
12 > I think it does. I believe that is the root cause of our difficulty in
13 > getting news to our users. We rely on our users coming to us to find
14 > the news. If they don't do that, they don't get the news.
15 >
16 > Our aim is to put the news in front of 100% of our userbase. Not the
17 > small fractions who check each of the places where news is currently
18 > published.
19
20 You describe here (and in your diary) the aim to reach 100% of our user
21 base. Wow, nice thing. Discussions on whether you will succeed or not,
22 are out of the question right now, it's just your aim. Good. I hope
23 you will succeed!
24
25 > > Besides that, I see no arguments why users don't. No proof either.
26 >
27 > No proof?!?
28 >
29 > Did you read the original blog posting which kicked this off? Or the
30 > thread in the forums where our users claim the Apache upgrade was a
31 > surprise - even though this was a well-trailed change? That's just one
32 > change.
33
34 I scoured the forums a bit and looked what users were telling. I wasn't
35 surprised. What do you expect from a user telling it all doesn't work
36 any more, who doesn't run etc-update just because "after every emerge
37 --upgrade --world it has over 100 files to update"? Such user just
38 ignores the importance of the tool, and will most certainly ignore
39 anything else that we try to help this user. This was just one example.
40
41 It is a very humble attempt to try and help these users, but they simply
42 chose the wrong Linux distro, because Gentoo expects you to be an system
43 administrator, not a user. At least that's my vision on it. I think we
44 can agree that Gentoo requires a user to know/realise more than a
45 Fedora/SuSe/Ubuntu user.
46
47 > I don't understand the problem from your point of view. No, scratch
48 > that. I don't understand your point of view. You're coming across to
49 > me as someone who doesn't believe there's a problem that needs solving.
50
51 I am just in the opinion that we lack a system where users can find the
52 information they need. That would help a certain type of users,
53 absolutely not all of them. So yes, after that, this problem needs
54 solving, perhaps. Personalisation using portage is a sweet thing!
55 Here comes the point where I can express my doubt about the 100%. There
56 are unfortunately users who are too hard to help, if you get what I
57 mean.
58
59 > I'm tempted to forcibly co-opt you into the PHP team before we put
60 > dev-lang/php live. This would allow you to experience the situation for
61 > yourself. Maybe that would give you another perspective? ;-)
62
63 Might be a very good excercise for me (and you?). As you might guess
64 from my comment above, I simply think _communication_ is the big
65 problem, as I see being a problem in many places around here. Not that
66 perfect communication solves the problem entirely, but it allows to
67 reply in the sense of 'rtfw'.
68 If you're serious here, feel free to contact me (off-list) to see what
69 we can arrange.
72 [1] http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/gentoo.php/2005/11/10/feeling_blue
75 Fabian Groffen
76 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
77 --
78 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list