From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should we switch IRC client defaults off Freenode?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 15:57:44
1 On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 11:42 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > What is the point you're making? If GF decides to kick you from Gentoo,
4 > will you also claim that it was their legal right?
7 IMO the lesson to be learned here is that we ought to design Gentoo in
8 such a way that if the GF kicks us all from Gentoo, it isn't a big
9 deal at all. The reason everybody is all upset is that the Freenode
10 change WAS a big deal and has been difficult to work through.
11 Obviously it wasn't THAT big of a problem, but ideally we should be
12 more resilient and just take things like this in stride.
13
14 People get deplatformed all the time these days, often from multiple
15 platforms at the same time. Anybody sane doing anything online should
16 just expect it to happen to them at some point.
19 Rich