From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should we switch IRC client defaults off Freenode?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 15:43:07
1 On Wed, 2021-06-16 at 17:03 +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > > Quick recap for people that haven't been following the news or got
3 > > confused in the lots of data:
4 > >
5 > > 1. Freenode was sold in 2017 to some guy who apparently wasn't supposed
6 > > to interfere with its operations.
7 > >
8 > > 2. In 2021, the guy actively started to interfere, then formed a one-man
9 > > Board and demanded full compliance.
10 >
11 > The problem with a summary like that is, that you only present one view.
12 > I.e. the view of the "winner" (history is written by the victors). But
13 > part of the drama is that freenode owner said he was forced to take
14 > actions for legal reasons (new owner is held liable for whatever his
15 > staff is doing) after former staff refused to cooperate.
16
17 Freenode apologists are free to present their own point of view,
18 and even believe in it. I am arguing for my point of view.
19
20 > > 5. New Freenode staff (including some disreputable types) went angry
21 > > about this and started automated reclamation of channels that indicated
22 > > move to another network (including some channels that didn't because
23 > > they failed at grep).
24 >
25 > You could also have a different view on that: We (like many others)
26 > started to violate their TOS. It does not matter whether or not they
27 > created these TOS retrospectively: It's a proprietary/privately owned
28 > service. They can do whatever they like whenever they like. [...]
29
30 What is the point you're making? If GF decides to kick you from Gentoo,
31 will you also claim that it was their legal right?
32
33 > > Just imagine unknowing Gentoo users having their systems compromised
34 > > through advice from trolls pretending to be Gentoo developers.
35 >
36 > True. But this can happen wherever people talk about Gentoo. Even in our
37 > forums, mailing lists or official IRC channels. I would recommend
38 > everyone to relax a little bit. There will always be some imperfect
39 > situations like that we cannot control. We shouldn't start to overreact.
40 > Like we say, "Gentoo is about choice", have some faith in our users to
41 > deal with that.
42
43 No, it is not the same. Freenode was our primary support channel for
44 many years. I am pretty sure that there are still Gentoo users who are
45 unaware of the whole situation, and who might join Freenode seeking
46 help.
47
48 There is a major difference between potential support channels that were
49 never official, and support channels that were discontinued.
52 Best regards,
53 Michał Górny