From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should we switch IRC client defaults off Freenode?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 15:03:22
1 On 2021-06-16 11:13, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > 1. Should we be proactively changing the default network in IRC clients
3 > (provided they have one) from Freenode to Libera.chat?
4 >
5 > 1a. If yes, then should we also make a change if clients default to
6 > network other than Freenode?
7
8 Adding *our* network in case Libera.chat is missing, is one thing. Like
9 adding branding for Gentoo.
10
11 But imagine the project behind the IRC client is located on EFnet and
12 therefore they are defaulting their client to EFnet, we shouldn't mess
13 with that because of the Freenode drama. There should be a separate
14 discussion if we should add Gentoo branding by default to *every*
15 package where possible in which case we can think about it.
18 > 2. Should we be proactively *removing* Freenode from the network list
19 > in IRC clients (provided they have one)?
20
21 No. Don't become part of a cancel culture where you disagree with
22 someone and start to fight your enemy. We moved and are done with
23 freenode. Gentoo is about choices. Our users should therefore be able to
24 decide on their own. No need to make it harder to connect to a network
25 we moved away from. And keep in mind: *Not* everyone has moved away from
26 freenode, that's also part of the truth. And we shouldn't judge projects
27 still located on freenode.
30 > 2a. Should we be adding Libera.chat to the list even if we do not remove
31 > Freenode?
32
33 See 1.
36 > Quick recap for people that haven't been following the news or got
37 > confused in the lots of data:
38 >
39 > 1. Freenode was sold in 2017 to some guy who apparently wasn't supposed
40 > to interfere with its operations.
41 >
42 > 2. In 2021, the guy actively started to interfere, then formed a one-man
43 > Board and demanded full compliance.
44
45 The problem with a summary like that is, that you only present one view.
46 I.e. the view of the "winner" (history is written by the victors). But
47 part of the drama is that freenode owner said he was forced to take
48 actions for legal reasons (new owner is held liable for whatever his
49 staff is doing) after former staff refused to cooperate.
52 > 5. New Freenode staff (including some disreputable types) went angry
53 > about this and started automated reclamation of channels that indicated
54 > move to another network (including some channels that didn't because
55 > they failed at grep).
56
57 You could also have a different view on that: We (like many others)
58 started to violate their TOS. It does not matter whether or not they
59 created these TOS retrospectively: It's a proprietary/privately owned
60 service. They can do whatever they like whenever they like. And they
61 just did that. No question, an unpleasant move from our POV. But I know
62 that many people don't like to hear or believe for some reasons that
63 this could never happen to other services -- but this can happen at any
64 time to our presence at Github and even what happened with freenode
65 could happen with Libera.chat again. Both are proprietary and in the end
66 privately owned. They can change rules without asking us and without
67 even considering our interests.
70 > Just imagine unknowing Gentoo users having their systems compromised
71 > through advice from trolls pretending to be Gentoo developers.
72
73 True. But this can happen wherever people talk about Gentoo. Even in our
74 forums, mailing lists or official IRC channels. I would recommend
75 everyone to relax a little bit. There will always be some imperfect
76 situations like that we cannot control. We shouldn't start to overreact.
77 Like we say, "Gentoo is about choice", have some faith in our users to
78 deal with that.
79
80 Gentoo is done with freenode, we migrated away. There is no need for us
81 take additional actions against freenode.
85 Regards,
86 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
87 fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature