From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Metapackages
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:02:16
1 On Sunday 06 March 2005 20:12, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 19:40 +0200, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > It's a cool idea. What's missing in the proto-GLEP is an explanation of
4 > > why you can't do this with a normal ebuild (that doesn't install any
5 > > files), and need the new concept of metapackages.
6 >
7 > The idea is that a metapackage, unlike a normal ebuild, doesn't exist in
8 > the installed package db, and its deps are always inspected when it
9 > turns up in the depgraph. That means that you avoid the situation where
10 > you merge package A, which depends on virtual/x11, and then pulls in
11 > xorg-x11. Then, for whatever reason, you unmerge xorg, and virtual/x11
12 > is still in the vdb, so the next app you merge that deps on it will
13 > break. That was explained in the -dev thread I linked; I probably should
14 > add an explanation into the GLEP.
15 OK. That would be fixed (for all ebuilds) by RDEPEND support on unmerge.
16
17 > > Also, the GLEP says: "On a side note, this system of metapackages would
18 > > provide an implementation of 'package sets' as proposed in GLEP 21 [2]_."
19 > >
20 > > I don't see how that would happen. A package set exists to install all of
21 > > a list of packages, while a virtual/metapackage exists to install one of
22 > > a list of (often mutually exclusive) packages. These are very different
23 > > goals. How would metapackages help with sets any more than ordinary
24 > > ebuilds already do?
25 >
26 > Since the metapackage has some arbitrary DEPEND string that has to be
27 > met, there's no reason why this couldn't require all packages reckoned
28 > to be part of a set, rather than one of the packages reckoned to provide
29 > a virtual.
30 Yes, but you can already do this with an ebuild. The only difference is again
31 the RDEPEND issues...
32
33 Well, this should be mentioned in the GLEP IMO.
34
35 BTW, the new functionality I think we really need for sets (which isn't
36 specified in GLEP 21) is for the unmerge command to act on an entire set.
37 E.g. to unmerge all of the (slotted) KDE 3.4 after installing 3.5.
40 Dan Armak
41 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
42 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
43 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951