From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Metapackages
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:09:28
1 On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 19:40 +0200, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > It's a cool idea. What's missing in the proto-GLEP is an explanation of why
3 > you can't do this with a normal ebuild (that doesn't install any files), and
4 > need the new concept of metapackages.
5
6 The idea is that a metapackage, unlike a normal ebuild, doesn't exist in
7 the installed package db, and its deps are always inspected when it
8 turns up in the depgraph. That means that you avoid the situation where
9 you merge package A, which depends on virtual/x11, and then pulls in
10 xorg-x11. Then, for whatever reason, you unmerge xorg, and virtual/x11
11 is still in the vdb, so the next app you merge that deps on it will
12 break. That was explained in the -dev thread I linked; I probably should
13 add an explanation into the GLEP.
14
15 > There's also the question of portage not checking RDEPENDs when unmerging, so
16 > you can unmerge a dep (and things will break) but you can't unmerge a package
17 > providing a virtual (portage will catch that). But the correct solution here,
18 > if we're going to modify portage, is to add generic RDEPEND checking support
19 > to emerge unmerge...
20
21 Allegedly the new dep resolver that's being worked on should handle
22 that... not sure if it'll get into the next portage release though. But
23 agreed, it is needed, and from what I've been given to understand should
24 handle this situation properly without too much extra effort.
25
26 > Also, the GLEP says: "On a side note, this system of metapackages would
27 > provide an implementation of 'package sets' as proposed in GLEP 21 [2]_."
28 >
29 > I don't see how that would happen. A package set exists to install all of a
30 > list of packages, while a virtual/metapackage exists to install one of a list
31 > of (often mutually exclusive) packages. These are very different goals. How
32 > would metapackages help with sets any more than ordinary ebuilds already do?
33
34 Since the metapackage has some arbitrary DEPEND string that has to be
35 met, there's no reason why this couldn't require all packages reckoned
36 to be part of a set, rather than one of the packages reckoned to provide
37 a virtual.
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list