From: Jeremiah Mahler <jmahler@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea about signing ebuilds
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 00:33:24
1 On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 08:56:30PM +0200, Alexander Holler wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > what do you think about signing the ebuilds and digests with gpg?
5 >
6 > That would make it harder for blackhats to introduce a worm or something
7 > similiar (if they have got access to an rsync mirror).
8 >
9 > My idea is to automatically sign the released ebuilds (before mirroring
10 > them) with a key of gentoo.org.
11 >
12 > Then emerge could check the sign and could discard wrong ebuilds or just
13 > throws a warning (preferable customized with make.conf).
14 >
15 > Just my 2 cents. ;)
18 > Alexander
21 > gentoo-dev mailing list
22 > gentoo-dev@g.o
25 The goal is to have packages that are of high quality.
26
27 One solution is to only allow one or a small number of trusted people to
28 change the packages. Development is slow and it is safe from trouble
29 makers. Debian uses this solution.
30
31 Another solution is to let anyone submit and change packages.
32 Development is fast but it is not safe from trouble makers.
33
34 My solution is to allow anyone to submit changes but also have a rating
35 system in place to gauge the trust people should place on a package.
36 Development is fast and is safe from trouble makers.
37
38 Of course my solution is not clear cut. There are many possible ways to
39 measure the trust people should place on a package. If it is brand new
40 it should not be trusted. If it has been used by many people and they
41 think it is trustworthy than it can be trusted. If the changes were made
42 by a trusted developer than it can be trusted. etc...
43
44 I have used Debian for a long time and I would hate to see Gentoo become
45 plagued with the same problems they have.
48 Jeremiah Mahler
49 <jmahler@×××××××.net>