From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newins "-" for standard input?
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:41:14
1 >>>>> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 >> Now that "dosed" is going to be banned, what would people think of
4 >> "newins" (and the other "new*" commands) accepting "-" as the first
5 >> argument?
6
7 > There's a slightly different variation in exheres-0: as well as do*
8 > and new*, there's also here*, which you use like this:
9
10 > hereins foo <<'END'
11 > stuff
12 > END
13
14 Why would we need a new command for this? The minus sign denoting
15 standard input is fairly common with other utilities.
16
17 > It magically barfs, rather than hanging indefinitely, if you forget
18 > to give it some input.
19
20 I guess the same could be done for "newins -", if you think that it is
21 necessary (test for stdin being a terminal?). But I don't really see
22 the point of it, since such a mistake would be noticed immediately
23 when testing the ebuild.
24
25 > The rationale for giving it a new name rather than overloading an
26 > existing one is that some of the existing do* utilities don't take
27 > just a single simple filename, so overloading would make the command
28 > line somewhat convoluted.
29
30 It doesn't make much sense to specify "-" as an argument for "do*",
31 because the command would not know under which name the file should be
32 installed. OTOH, all "new*" commands have exactly two arguments, so we
33 could allow "-" for the first argument.
34
35 Ulrich